- WHAT: SPC has an opportunity to host Homework Helpers, a ministry to the children of Suburban Village
- WHY: It’s Love in Action and provides us with another way to serve our community in the gospel of Christ
- HOW: Provide an hour of care/programming for the children in this community
- THE NEED: Two people to join Zac Collins on the directing team; 4-5 volunteers for Mondays and 4-5 others for Tuesdays from 2:15 – 3:30 PM
- WHEN: Two eight-week segments, one in the fall/ winter and another in the winter/spring
- INTERESTED: Contact Zac Collins
Homework Helpers (HH) is an after school program designed to help and encourage the elementary aged children and the families that live in Suburban Village, a mobile home park in the Bon Air area. HH is a ministry that has been around for seven years and has built a great reputation within this community. During the ’17-’18 school year they had the privilege to serve seventy-two different children over the two days a week that they met. Seventy-two different high school students took an hour after school to serve these kids as their tutors and mentors. Needless to say, this program is great for this community and for the teenagers that serve them.
In the ’18-’19 school year, Chesterfield County Public Schools has changed their elementary and high schools start and end times., leaving about an hour and fifteen minutes from the time the children get off the bus before their tutors arrive. This is where Stony Point Church and others in this community can step in to make sure this great ministry continues. We need two people to come alongside of Zac Collins to be a directing team and an additional four volunteers for Mondays and four for Tuesdays from 2:15 – 3:30 to provide snacks, love, and programing for these children until their tutors arrive.
We have been looking for opportunities and praying for ways that we can serve Suburban Village. Then, as an answer to those prayers, Homework Helpers comes to us at SPC to ask for help in this regard. It would be our privilege to help this ministry and this community, but we need the volunteers to make it happen. Would you consider the ways in which you can show “Love in Action” through this ministry? If you have any further questions or would like to be involved please contact Zac Collins by email or at 804-356-6050.